Sunday, September 18, 2011

Surprise!

If you live in Cleveland or have been around us in the last 3 months or so, we probably have had the chance to share our great news! Mike and I decided, after some debate, to have one more kiddo this spring. We got preggo quickly and were expecting our third (and final) babe in February. We felt incredibly blessed and honored to actually get pregnant again and excited about becoming a family of 5. :)

I had a great first trimester and felt very decent. Things went very smoothly. We decided this baby was going to be a surprise since we already had a boy and a girl. We'd go into the delivery and found out when baby #3 was here! I went for my first ultrasound on Thursday morning. Mike took off work and we arrived for the ultrasound around 8:15am.

The technician squirted that warm jelly stuff on my belly and took the first peak at our baby. This is what we saw:

Yes, my dear friends, that's two babies' heads and hands. Two babies. I nearly fell off the table. The woman looked at us and said, "Did you two know you were expecting twins?" Twins? What? Who in the world has twins? Certainly not us!

Mike and I decided several things immediately:
1. This was clearly NOT our plan.
2. We would not name them anything matchy-matchy, or rhyming.
3. This has to be the biggest surprise of our life.
4. We need to settle on final birth control plans STAT!
5. Holy smokes, we're having twins.

So the babies, affectionately referred to as baby A and baby B (A is on the bottom, lower down, B is more to the side.), are identical twins that share one placenta. (Mike told me the odds of identical twins is .3%) They're of course, the most dangerous twins to have. More complications, more trouble. Right now they're growing and healthy and perfect. One is 9oz. and one is 10oz. I'm on a modified rest until we can be sure I'm not about to burst into premature labor. We'll also monitor the babies to make sure one doesn't start to steal nutrients from the other. (Happens about 10-15% of the time) The babies will be delivered at 32 or 34 weeks. (hello Christmas? Not Valentine's Day!) It's too risky to let them go longer.
We'd love your prayers and help to make it successfully to that 34 week mark with BIG healthy babies. :)

It's funny because never, in my wildest dreams, did I ever plan or imagine we'd have a big family of 6. My Mom says God must think we're pretty decent parents that he sent us one extra babe as a real 'surprise.' I certainly know Mike and I and our extended family and friends have more than enough love for one extra babe. I'm not sure what we'll do with 4 kids under 5. Or how you actually sleep and feed twins. :) I know this wasn't the surprise that I had planned. I do know that we're totally blessed and grateful and overwhelmed all at the same time.

God "is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us." (Ephesians 3:20)



2 comments:

Chad and Sondra said...

oh.my.goodness. TWINS!!!!!!!!!!!! [jaw is dropped] Well, I would say ditto to what your mom said. If anyone can handle it, you guys can! Chad will have to live vicariously through you because he's always wanted twins (which won't happen here unless God throws us a curveball like yours)! After this surprise, are you still planning to be surprised by gender? So many questions! We'll be praying for you!! Love you (all SIX of you!!!)
-S

Quarter-lifer said...

2 words for you guys: FAMILY. BAND.