Monday, March 9, 2009

Thoughts on Marriage and Faith

So we've started a new book in our Community Group @ church called "Sacred Marriage" and it got me thinking. One thing that becomes totally obvious within a couple years of being married is that the battle for a good marriage is won or lost in the day to day stuff. What I mean by this is that while the "Oh my gosh, I can't believe you got me this/took me here/made me that" romantic moments are really awesome, it is the willingness to get off your duff and do the dishes that makes the difference every day. Add kids to the mix and this really become true... I can't tell you how much it means to me when Jen will do something a little extra like pack Addie's bag or take out the trash (usually my jobs).

If you haven't learned that yet, there is your golden nugget for the day - I seriously doubt you can have a good marriage w/o knowing and practicing the "do the daily stuff" philosophy.

Next thought - the Bible uses marriage as one way of describing our relationship to Jesus. We (collectively) are called Jesus' bride... so like, we're sort of in a marriage-like relationship right? This makes total sense in hindsight- the relationship is only as good as the day-to-day stuff, just like our regular marriages. Not every day with him (Christ) is a crying your eyes out, touched by God, hallejuah-amen experience. On the regular days, it is the reading the Bible, praying, worshiping, fasting, etc on that keeps us connected and in healthy relationship.

The weird thing is this - if your "marriage" with Jesus isn't going so good, your marriage to your wife is almost certainly not going to be going so well. Conversely, if you're straight w/ Jesus, you find being a servant in your marriage to be an easier endeavor.

Go figure.

No comments: